Saturday, October 4, 2008

Getting Started

As I read through our previous posts, I am left thinking about those who aspire to decorate, but when they look in those glossy mags and see these bountiful tables spreads and gorgeous candle displays, they are left thinking, "Yeah, right. When will I have time to do this, and how much will of this cost?" So here are a few tips to those just trying to do a little bit of decorating without breaking the bank.

As with a wardrobe, start off with your basics. In decorating, I consider basics to be candles, candleholders and vases. To capture the vibe of the season, go to Michael's and get a scented candle that fits your idea of what the season means to you. Their candles are great, and they are cheap. Yes, they are made in China, but so are the majority of candles sold in the US. For candleholders, I prefer simple glass bases, to start. Once you have the basics, you can build onto that. Also, if you go into the wreath decorating section of Michael's, they have little add-ons that you can use to decorate candles. Have fun! 

When you are on your weekly stop to Target, stop the Dollar Spot! I can often find items that will fit in perfectly for the season, and only cost $1-$2.50. Just this past week I found a great cornucopia to place on the table for Thanksgiving. Cost: $1.00. It doesn't have to cost a lot to look good.

As I said before, decorating doesn't have to mean spending a ton of money. It just means taking your time to build a repertoire, and to do that, you have to start off with the basics!

  

No comments: