Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bacon and Lentil Soup

I have a new crush. You know how sometimes you think you don't like something, but you realize you simply must have gotten a bad first impression, then you find you really do like it a lot? Well, I am <---this---> close to doodling Mrs. Kristianna Lentil in the margins of my cookbook. I actually owe it to the controversial Rachael Ray. I know, some people can't stand her, but I like her and I also get her magazine. I find at least a dozen recipes in there each month that I want to try. A couple of months ago there was a recipe for Garlicky Lentils that I decided to give a go. I always tell Bunny to keep giving foods a chance, and it's not just something I say. I mean it -- just because something has not been to my liking once, twice, or a hundred times, doesn't mean I might not like it *some* way.

Except for turnips. I promised my husband I'd stop trying to make him eat them, though I think they're a decent substitute for potatoes in some soups. Turnips, you're dead to us. He's working on me to similarly agree to no more Brussells sprouts, but I have not agreed to that.

So, anyway, LENTILS!

I made a soup last night that we all liked, except the 3 year old, and he doesn't like ANYthing, so he doesn't count. We'd live on Happy Meals if he planned the menus.

A week ago I saw a recipe for Bacon and Lentil soup, and seeing as I now like-like lentils, and we all love bacon here, it seemed like a natural fit for dinner.


The ingredient list is very short, and it cooks up quickly if you begin with packaged lentils. Trader Joe's sells some great ones in the produce section, right by the beets I have unsuccessfully fed my family a couple of times. The blueberries in the photo are NOT in this soup--they're just out to encourage my kidlets to munch on them. Blueberries would probably rank right up there with all time ingredients I would not mix with lentils. *shudder!* ;) Oh, and yes, my poor cat was sitting outside hoping I'd let him in while I was cooking dinner. I didn't notice because the noise level in my house at about 6 p.m. is 300 decibles.

Anyway, this soup is fast and easy. I followed the recipe above pretty closely, except I removed all the bacon to drain on a paper towel, which kept it nice and crispy. Since I used precooked lentils, I didn't need to use quite as much stock. Also, I prefer soups to be thicker, so I gave the finished soup a whirl with an immersion blender before serving. I didn't puree it, but made it less brothy.


Here is the soup just before blending it in the pot. It could also go into a blender--say 1/3 of it--if you don't have an immersion blender. But I tell you, that is one kitchen tool I would not want to be without. I think I'd prefer to have it over an actual blender if I had to choose.


Top with reserved bacon, and some green onions if you remembered to put them on your grocery list. I didn't. ;)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Elle said...

I will happily sign the petition to end the eating of brussel sprouts. Never across my lips will they cross ever again.