Monday, November 3, 2008

Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Sometimes in life we avoid thinking of simple ideas mostly because we are moving quickly to slow down and think about what we're doing, only to discover that when we do slow down, simple solutions are right before our eyes. 

I love to buy fresh herbs from the grocery store. I don't have an herb garden; my patio lacks the space and our current situation prevents us from buying a house with gardening space any time soon. So I buy fresh herbs when recipes call for it. The upside: tasty herbs bursting with flavor when added to a recipe. Downside: not using all of the herbs in the recipe, and said leftovers go into the veggie drawer, only to rot away.

Ah ha! solution: take the remaining herbs and leave them out to dry. Once they are completely dried, you can remove the leaves from the stems fairly easily (I used Rosemary and just pulled in the opposite direction of the growth), place them in a bag, and voila! No need to go to the store to buy jarred spices, which can be ridiculously expensive for what you are really buying.

Yes, I know. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

No comments: